How To Create A Progress Plan
Getting started on a journey to work on your health & fitness is the best thing you can do for yourself. Working on our bodies and taking better care of them means increased energy levels, reduced risk of chronic diseases and illnesses, improved balance, enhanced coordination, better performance, improved sleep habits, higher self-esteem, and improved mental health.
With so many valuable benefits of being on a fitness journey, the one hurdle most people face is the inability of tracking their effort and the resultant progress. This is where creating a progress plan comes in.
Curious to know more? Keep reading!
What is a Progress Plan?
A progress plan is basically a plan or a document that lays out the tasks you need to accomplish your health and fitness goals. It is the first step to put in action towards achieving your dreams and ideas.
A progress plan breaks up the process needed to achieve your goals into actionable assignments based on a timeline. A good progress plan will outline all the necessary steps needed to help you reach your target efficiently within the assigned timeline.
While it may sound like a very documentary process, the major reason to create a progress plan is the mindset it helps you to develop. A progress mindset will keep you on track with your fitness goals, help you see your progress, and enable you to work on any inadequacy that can hinder the realization of your health and fitness goals. With a mindset like that, you are constantly evaluating your efforts, making smarter decisions, understanding what’s working for you, and seeking ways to keep learning and growing.
How to Create a Progress Plan?
Writing a progress plan may take some time and effort. However, it is worth the work to keep yourself focused and growing later.
While different action plans may differ in terms of tasks and timelines, here are the key structural aspects of an effective progress plan to get you to started.
- Set SMART Goals: First comes goal setting. Creating fitness goals is a way of giving yourself the direction as well as the motivation to start. It is a powerful practice to identify what you want to achieve, or what you want to improve. Set the right goals and you’re already setting yourself up for success. A good way to do that is to consider using the SMART outline. When setting health & fitness goals for yourself make sure your goals are
- Specific: They should be clearly defined.
- Measurable: Make sure they can be measured to track the progress.
- Attainable: To achieve desired progress, make sure the goals are attainable.
- Relevant: They should be relevant to your interests.
Time-based: Set a specific deadline for reaching your goal.
2. Create a list of actions: Next, divide your main goals into smaller objectives. This will help your main goal seem less overwhelming. It will also help you move closer to the goal in an organized, step-by-step way. Make sure these actions are attainable. It is a great idea to pay attention to two or three smaller doable actions.
3. Set a timeline: It is extremely important to set a start time and a deadline for your goals, long-term as well as short-term ones. You need to do this not just for your big goal but also for the smaller actions you break them into. However, it is essential to set a timeline for your goals that you can reasonably follow. This will help you maintain consistent progress towards your goals. Setting attainable goals with an achievable timeline will keep you motivated to realistically achieve them.
4. Designate resources: The importance of designating resources and preparing yourself to do the work cannot be stressed enough. If you’re already prepared with the resources to do a task, you’re halfway there. Making a designated area with all the basic equipment you need to work out, meal-prepping for the entire week on weekends, getting on a fitness program, etc. are a few ways you can prepare yourself to stay focused and be able to put in the work with the least amount of resistance.
5. Monitor the progress: With any kind of goal, it is crucial to keep track of the progress. Tracking your progress will help you see the progress you have made so far and will in turn motivate you to keep working towards your bigger goals. It will also help you make changes and level up your fitness plan when needed as well as identify any loopholes that may be coming in the way or slowing down your progress. Retaking your personal fitness assessment, measuring your body every few days, checking in with how you feel and your energy levels are a few ways to keep track of your health and fitness levels.
Creating a progress plan can be an effective tool in your health and fitness journey. It can give you a sense of purpose and fulfillment while following through with it. Looking to take a meaningful step towards your health and fitness? Check out my MSF Transformation Plans and you’ll receive a meal plan and workout plan tailor-made by experts to fit your current fitness level, dietary preferences, unique lifestyle, budget, and health and fitness goals.